THE RETAIL BULLETIN - The home of retail news
Home Page
News Categories
Christmas Ads
Commentary
Department Stores
Electricals & Technology
Entertainment
Fashion
Food & Drink
General Merchandise
Grocery
Health & Beauty
Home & DIY
Interviews
Property
Retail News
Retail Solutions
Shopping Centres, High Streets & Retail Parks
Sports & Leisure
Retail Events
THE Retail Conference 2022
Retail Women In Leadership 2022
Digital Transformation Strategy 2022 Part 2
Omni Channel Futures 2023
Upcoming Retail Events
Past Retail Events
Retail Insights
Retail Solutions
Advertise
About
Contact
Subscribe for free
Terms and Policies
Privacy Policy
Puma turns old football jerseys into new

Puma is piloting a new production process called Re:Jersey where it uses existing football jerseys to produce new ones as it looks to pave the way… View Article

SPORTS & LEISURE

Puma turns old football jerseys into new

Puma is piloting a new production process called Re:Jersey where it uses existing football jerseys to produce new ones as it looks to pave the way for more circular production models in the future.

The initiative means that existing garments with logos, embroideries and club badges, which previously hindered efforts to turn old clothing into new, can now be used.

The process involves old garments being chemically broken down into their main components then colours being filtered out. This is  followed by the material being chemically put back together to create a yarn that has the same performance characteristics as virgin polyester.

While Puma’s football kits on the market today are already made from 100% recycled polyester, Re:Jersey kits are produced with 75% repurposed football jerseys. The remaining 25% comes from Seaqual marine plastic.

Howard Williams, director of apparel technology at Puma, said: “With the Re:Jersey project, we wanted to develop ways to reduce our environmental impact, respect resources and reuse materials. The insights we gained with Re:Jersey will help us develop more circular products in the future.”

Products made through the project will be worn on-pitch during pre-match warm-ups by Puma clubs Manchester City, AC Milan, Borussia Dortmund and Olympique de Marseille. The teams will wear the jerseys ahead of their respective league fixtures in late April and May, starting with Manchester City against Watford on 23 April.

Email this article to a friend

You need to be logged in to use this feature.

Please log in here

Subscribe For Retail News

THE NEXT EVENT

See all upcoming events

LATEST VIDEO

UKG LifeWork ALL: Register your place now to hear more. RETAIL HR 21 Sept LONDON
UKG LifeWork ALL: Register your place now to hear more. RETAIL HR 21 Sept LONDON

Watch video >