THE RETAIL BULLETIN - The home of retail news
Lest we forget
HOME
RETAIL NEWS
RETAIL EVENTS
Fashion
Department Stores
Shopping Centres & Retail Parks
Home & DIY
Electricals
Health & Beauty
General Merchandise
Entertainment
Sports & Leisure
Retail Solutions
Food & Drink
Interviews
RETAIL INSIGHTS
RETAIL SOLUTIONS
ABOUT US
CONTACT US
SUBSCRIBE FOR FREE
Argos Christmas sales hit by Black Friday

Home Retail Group said sales were broadly flat at Argos in the 18 weeks to 3 January as Black Friday had a significant impact on the pattern of trade.

GENERAL MERCHANDISE

Argos Christmas sales hit by Black Friday

Home Retail Group said sales were broadly flat at Argos in the 18 weeks to 3 January as Black Friday had a significant impact on the pattern of trade.

While like-for-like sales edged up 0.1%, total sales grew by just 0.8% to £1,822 million in the period. 

Although there was growth in sales of electrical products due to strong performances in video gaming, TVs and mobiles, the increases were offset by a decline in sales in the jewellery category.

Home Retail Group said the week of Black Friday was Argos' highest sales week of the period, although sales were volatile in the weeks surrounding the event. The group’s chief executive John Walden said the event had “significantly impacted” the shape of Argos' sales over its peak trading period.

He added: “In anticipation of volatility in trading patterns and the profit pressure caused by aggressive promotions, Argos pursued a more cautious trading stance over the period. This resulted in broadly flat like-for-like sales, but achieved both improved gross margins and good cost management.”

On Black Friday itself sales were up by 45% at Argos, while the number of visitors to its digital channels trebled year-on-year to 13.5 million. Mobile channels accounted for 71% of visits and 61% of digital sales.  

Meanwhile, like-for-like sales at the Homebase DIY chain increased by 0.6% in the period. Total sales fell by 2.7% to £451 million primarily due to a reduction in net space of 3.3%.

Commenting on the group’s performance, Walden said: "I am pleased with our overall performance during our important peak trading period, having managed through a volatile trading environment with good control of both gross margin and costs.”  

He added: "As a result of our trading strategy in the period, we continue to expect group benchmark profit before tax for the current FY15 financial year to be in line with the current market consensus."

 

Email this article to a friend

You need to be logged in to use this feature.

Please log in here

Subscribe For Retail News

RETAIL EVENTS

The Retail Design Seminar 2018
The Retail Design Seminar 2018
14 November 2018
The Cavendish Conference Centre
The Retail Design Seminar 2018
Omnichannel Futures Conference 2019
Omnichannel Futures Conference 2019
6 February 2019
Cavendish Conference Centre, London WG1 9DT
A truly omnichannel offering requires an understanding of customer behaviour across all shopping channels and how this should impact your overall business strategy
Customer Engagement Conference 2019
Customer Engagement Conference 2019
5 June 2019
Cavendish Conference Centre, London W1
The 10th Annual Retail Customer Engagement Summit
AI in Retail Conference 2019
AI in Retail Conference 2019
18 September 2019
Cavendish Conference Center, 22 Duchess Mews, London W1G 9DT
Retail marketing is changing pace rapidly by making communication across all platforms personalised, relevant, efficient, and helpful. AI not only helps shoppers find a perfect product but also pre-empts the shopping behaviour and speeds up payment.
The HR Summit 2019
The HR Summit 2019
Tuesday 8 October 2019
The Cavendish Conference Centre, London W1
The 11th HR Summit 2019, The Cavendish Conference Centre, London W1, 8 October 2019