THE RETAIL BULLETIN - The home of retail news
Click here
Home Page
News Categories
Commentary
Department Stores
Electricals and Tech
Entertainment
Fashion
Food and Drink
General Merchandise
Grocery
Health and Beauty
Home and DIY
Interviews
People Matter
Retail Business Strategy
Property
Retail Solutions
Electricals & Technology
Sports and Leisure
Christmas Ads
Shopping Centres, High Streets & Retail Parks
Retail Events
People in Retail Awards 2024
Retail HR Summit
THE Retail Conference
Retail HR North 2025
Omnichannel Futures 2025
Retail HR Central 2025
Upcoming Retail Events
Past Retail Events
Retail Insights
Retail Solutions
Advertise
About
Contact
Subscribe for free
Terms and Policies
Privacy Policy
Sainsbury’s to acquire freeholds on 13 store sites

Sainsbury’s is to acquire the freehold interest of 13 stores it already occupies. The news was announced by Supermarket Income REIT in an update relating to… View Article

FOOD AND DRINK NEWS UK

Sainsbury’s to acquire freeholds on 13 store sites

Sainsbury’s is to acquire the freehold interest of 13 stores it already occupies.

The news was announced by Supermarket Income REIT in an update relating to its 50:50 joint venture with British Airways Pension Trustees.

The joint venture has a 51% beneficial interest in the Sainsbury’s reversion portfolio, which consists of 26 Sainsbury’s supermarkets, while the remaining 49%  is held by Sainsbury’s.

Supermarket Income REIT said Sainsbury’s has exercised a purchase option to acquire 13 stores. The acquisition will complete in March 2023 on expiry of the current occupational leases.

Sainsbury’s also has a remaining purchase option to buy a further 10 stores in the portfolio, which can be exercised between December 2021 and January 2022.

Ben Green, director of Atrato Capital, the investment adviser to Supermarket Income REIT, said: “Sainsbury’s decision to buy back these stores is further evidence of the strength of demand for grocery property in the UK and also demonstrates the balance sheet strength of the supermarket operators.”

Subscribe For Retail News