THE RETAIL BULLETIN - The home of retail news
Lest we forget
HOME
RETAIL NEWS
RETAIL EVENTS
Fashion
Department Stores
Shopping Centres & Retail Parks
Home & DIY
Electricals
Health & Beauty
General Merchandise
Entertainment
Sports & Leisure
Retail Solutions
Food & Drink
Interviews
RETAIL INSIGHTS
RETAIL SOLUTIONS
ABOUT US
CONTACT US
SUBSCRIBE FOR FREE
Toy retailer follows record-breaking Christmas results with double-digit sales growth

The company’s strong trading performance for the period delivered exceptional like-for-like sales and the business is now ‘storming ahead’ with its plans for expansion.

CITY & CORPORATE

Toy retailer follows record-breaking Christmas results with double-digit sales growth

The company’s strong trading performance for the period delivered exceptional like-for-like sales and the business is now ‘storming ahead’ with its plans for expansion.

In the fifth consecutive quarter of like-for-like growth for the company, sales for the first quarter of 2012 were up 11.9% in stores (like-for-like). Web sales for the same period performed exceptionally well, up 89%. The company was named Toy Retailer of the Year and Outperformed the UK toy market by 42.5%.

Two of 12 planned new stores opened and a further 10 new stores are on schedule to open in 2012, bringing the company’s total portfolio to more than 75 stores.
Ongoing plans include the creation of 150 new jobs  by the end of the year and a new website is due to launch in the summer with a 30-minute click and collect service in place for Christmas.

Total company sales for the quarter climbed 41% while the overall toy market shrank by 1.5%, meaning The Entertainer outperformed the market by a staggering 42.5%.

This strong trading performance significantly exceeded targets and store staff were rewarded with more than £80,000 in bonuses - the biggest quarterly pay-out in The Entertainer’s history.

Efforts to provide exciting in-store experiences are continually increasing at all branches of The Entertainer, with more than 45 visits from popular character costumes taking place during half-term alone.

Founder and owner of The Entertainer Gary Grant said: “Buying a toy should be a process that’s full of energy and excitement. “It should put a smile on the face of the customer and everyone in our business works extremely hard to achieve that.

“If we remember that this level of engagement is what customers want and deserve, there’s no reason why retailers can’t keep those customers  coming through the doors - even in difficult trading conditions.
Everyone remembers their favourite childhood toy and we consider it a privilege to give children an experience that will live with them forever.”

Don't miss the Retail Bulletin's In-Store Engagement Conference, 10th July 2012. The theme of the day is 'Using in store kiosk, tablet, digital signage, social media and smartphone technologies to drive bricks and mortar sales, customer experience and range offer'. Confirmed speakers and panelists include Tesco.com, Marks & Spencer, McDonalds Restaurants, Schuh, Vodafone Group, Harrods, Co-operative Group, Carphone Warehouse, White Stuff, o2 Telefonica, Star Micronics, TBG Digital. Make sure of your place at this crucial event - click here for programme details and registration. 

Email this article to a friend

You need to be logged in to use this feature.

Please log in here

Subscribe For Retail News

RETAIL EVENTS

The Retail Design Seminar 2018
The Retail Design Seminar 2018
14 November 2018
The Cavendish Conference Centre
The Retail Design Seminar 2018
Omnichannel Futures Conference 2019
Omnichannel Futures Conference 2019
6 February 2019
Cavendish Conference Centre, London WG1 9DT
A truly omnichannel offering requires an understanding of customer behaviour across all shopping channels and how this should impact your overall business strategy
Customer Engagement Conference 2019
Customer Engagement Conference 2019
5 June 2019
Cavendish Conference Centre, London W1
The 10th Annual Retail Customer Engagement Summit
AI in Retail Conference 2019
AI in Retail Conference 2019
18 September 2019
Cavendish Conference Center, 22 Duchess Mews, London W1G 9DT
Retail marketing is changing pace rapidly by making communication across all platforms personalised, relevant, efficient, and helpful. AI not only helps shoppers find a perfect product but also pre-empts the shopping behaviour and speeds up payment.
The HR Summit 2019
The HR Summit 2019
Tuesday 8 October 2019
The Cavendish Conference Centre, London W1
The 11th HR Summit 2019, The Cavendish Conference Centre, London W1, 8 October 2019
Fix The Dinosaur Roundtable 2018
Fix The Dinosaur Roundtable 2018
19 October 2018
The Euston Suite, The Hallam, 44 Hallam St, London W1W 6JJ
A Masterclass in IBMi Legacy Issues