THE RETAIL BULLETIN - The home of retail news
HOME
RETAIL NEWS
RETAIL EVENTS
Fashion
Department Stores
Shopping Centres & Retail Parks
Home & DIY
Electricals
Health & Beauty
General Merchandise
Entertainment
Sports & Leisure
Retail Solutions
Food & Drink
Interviews
RETAIL INSIGHTS
RETAIL SOLUTIONS
ABOUT US
CONTACT US
SUBSCRIBE FOR FREE
Retailers 'fail to capitilise on expanding mobile sales channel'

A recent survey has found that retailers appear to be missing out on the considerable opportunities to be had in the expanding mobile sales channel.

OMNICHANNEL

Retailers 'fail to capitilise on expanding mobile sales channel'

A recent survey has found that retailers appear to be missing out on the considerable opportunities to be had in the expanding mobile sales channel.

Of the retailers surveyed, only 12% had an m-commerce strategy in place, while 88% were not yet capitalising on this growing sales channel. Last year over 10 million online UK consumers used their mobiles to make a transaction.

 The survey, conducted by Maginus which provides integrated software for multi-channel retail companies, revealed that only 35% of those retailers with an m-commerce strategy in place were considering integrating it into their other sales channels.  The remaining 65% had not even having considered m-commerce as part of their overall multi-channel strategy.

Russell Dorset, sales and marketing director at Maginus said: “This new channel to market has created a need for hybrid multi-channel. Retailers need to realise the importance of integrating all sales channels to ensure seamless customer service across the business. A standalone sales channel is simply not enough, especially as consumers now expect an integrated service that enables them to purchase an item via their mobile device or online and then take it back in-store”.

However, 60% of retailers not using this channel said they were looking to do so in the next 12 months. Of these, 88% agreed that improved customer service and keeping ahead of the competition were the driving factors behind future adoption, closely followed by increased sales and integrating business process (62%).

Russell added:  “With the proliferation of smart-phone devices, the emerging trend of mobile commerce looks set to continue to grow in popularity. With the majority of retailers revenue now generated through e-commerce sales and m-commerce, enabling consumers to purchase goods anywhere at any time, it could fast become the predominant sales channel.”

Do not miss The Retail Bulletin Mobile Retailing Summit 2011, sponsored by DigiPoS, and supported by IMRG, on September 27th in London. With a top-class speaker programme, this event is retailer-led which will stimulate interactive lively debate and is a must attend for those retailers who want to embrace mobile as an integral part of their multi-channel offering.

This one day summit will enable you to build a profitable mobile strategy and network with like-minded executives. Do not miss this opportunity – click here for full programme details.

 

Email this article to a friend

You need to be logged in to use this feature.

Please log in here

Subscribe For Retail News

RETAIL EVENTS

Omnichannel Futures Conference 2019
Omnichannel Futures Conference 2019
6 February 2019
Cavendish Conference Centre, London WG1 9DT
A truly omnichannel offering requires an understanding of customer behaviour across all shopping channels and how this should impact your overall business strategy
Customer Engagement Conference 2019
Customer Engagement Conference 2019
5 June 2019
Cavendish Conference Centre, London W1
The 10th Annual Retail Customer Engagement Summit
The HR Summit 2019
The HR Summit 2019
Tuesday 8 October 2019
The Cavendish Conference Centre, London W1
The 11th HR Summit 2019, The Cavendish Conference Centre, London W1, 8 October 2019
AI in Retail Conference 2019
AI in Retail Conference 2019
16 October 2019
Cavendish Conference Center, 22 Duchess Mews, London W1G 9DT
Digitally native competitors and demanding customers are forcing a new perspective in retail. AI and machine learning can help you step up to the challenges; and some ‘small and beautiful’ solutions can increase your conversion rates within just a few weeks.
Payment Roundtable 2019
Payment Roundtable 2019
6 February 2019
The Cavendish Conference Centre, 22 Duchess Mews, London W1G 9DT
The Retail Bulletin Payment Roundtable will raise debate and discussion centred on but not exclusive to improving the in-store payment process