THE RETAIL BULLETIN - The home of retail news
HOME
RETAIL NEWS
RETAIL EVENTS
Fashion
Department Stores
Shopping Centres & Retail Parks
Home & DIY
Electricals
Health & Beauty
General Merchandise
Entertainment
Sports & Leisure
Retail Solutions
Food & Drink
Interviews
RETAIL INSIGHTS
RETAIL SOLUTIONS
ABOUT US
CONTACT US
SUBSCRIBE FOR FREE
Fast Retailing acquires majority stake in J Brand

Fast Retailing, the Japanese owner of the Uniqlo clothing chain, has acquired a majority stake in US denim maker J Brand Holdings.

GENERAL MERCHANDISE

Fast Retailing acquires majority stake in J Brand

Fast Retailing, the Japanese owner of the Uniqlo clothing chain, has acquired a majority stake in US denim maker J Brand Holdings.

The group has bought the 80.1% share from Star Avenue Capital for $290 million. The transaction is expected to close by the end of December, subject to regulatory approvals. J Brand management will continue to hold the remaining 19.9% stake in the company.

Fast Retailing said the acquisition will help to extend its footprint across the luxury apparel category in the US. It will also enable the group to leverage J Brand's know-how in the area of premium denim and to strengthen the group's capability in developing denim products.

Commenting on the acquisition, Tadashi Yanai, chairman, president and chief executive officer of Fast Retailing said: "Our planned acquisition will extend the Fast Retailing Group's brand portfolio among the affordable luxury apparel category and strengthen our group's capability in the denim category.

"The acquisition will create synergies between the companies, enhancing the positions of both Fast Retailing and J Brand as fashion leaders."

The existing J Brand management team, led by CEO  Jeff Rudes, will continue to lead and operate the company.

Rudes added: "We are very proud of the platform we have built together with Star Avenue Capital and its partners, Irving Place Capital and CAA, over the last several years, and we look forward to our next phase of growth."

Email this article to a friend

You need to be logged in to use this feature.

Please log in here

Subscribe For Retail News

RETAIL EVENTS

Omnichannel Futures Conference 2019
Omnichannel Futures Conference 2019
6 February 2019
Cavendish Conference Centre, London WG1 9DT
A truly omnichannel offering requires an understanding of customer behaviour across all shopping channels and how this should impact your overall business strategy
Customer Engagement Conference 2019
Customer Engagement Conference 2019
5 June 2019
Cavendish Conference Centre, London W1
The 10th Annual Retail Customer Engagement Summit
The HR Summit 2019
The HR Summit 2019
Tuesday 8 October 2019
The Cavendish Conference Centre, London W1
The 11th HR Summit 2019, The Cavendish Conference Centre, London W1, 8 October 2019
AI in Retail Conference 2019
AI in Retail Conference 2019
16 October 2019
Cavendish Conference Center, 22 Duchess Mews, London W1G 9DT
Digitally native competitors and demanding customers are forcing a new perspective in retail. AI and machine learning can help you step up to the challenges; and some ‘small and beautiful’ solutions can increase your conversion rates within just a few weeks.
Payment Roundtable 2019
Payment Roundtable 2019
6 February 2019
The Cavendish Conference Centre, 22 Duchess Mews, London W1G 9DT
The Retail Bulletin Payment Roundtable will raise debate and discussion centred on but not exclusive to improving the in-store payment process