THE RETAIL BULLETIN - The home of retail news
HOME
RETAIL NEWS
RETAIL EVENTS
Fashion
Department Stores
Shopping Centres & Retail Parks
Home & DIY
Electricals
Health & Beauty
General Merchandise
Entertainment
Sports & Leisure
Retail Solutions
Food & Drink
RETAIL INSIGHTS
RETAIL SOLUTIONS
ABOUT US
CONTACT US
SUBSCRIBE FOR FREE
Debenhams to recruit 6,500 seasonal workers

Department store chain Debenhams is to recruit 6,500 temporary workers over the Christmas period. The jobs will be based within retailer's 163 stores with each store requiring an average of 40 new members of staff.

GENERAL MERCHANDISE

Debenhams to recruit 6,500 seasonal workers

Roles will range from sales advisor positions to stock handling and gift advice.

The positions will be offered to around 30% of the seasonal staff who worked for Debenhams last year. The remaining 70% will be opened up to members of the public.

Debenhams chief executive Michael Sharp said: “These jobs are sure to be welcomed by local economies during the most financially challenging part of the year.

“Approximately a quarter of staff that work with us over the festive season will stay on in permanent roles, making this a crucial period in our employment calendar.”

Chris Grayling, minister for employment, added: “These roles offer invaluable retail experience for first-jobbers whilst giving those with families the flexible working hours they need.

“We are committed to injecting new life into the economy and this is a great example of how major players in the private sector are playing a key role in that.”

The total number of jobs on offer this Christmas is lower than last year when Debenhams recruited 9,000 temporary staff.

Email this article to a friend

You need to be logged in to use this feature.

Please log in here

Subscribe For Retail News

RETAIL EVENTS

Retail Human Resources Summit
Retail Human Resources Summit
Wednesday 3 October 2018
The Cavendish Conference Centre, London W1
The 10th HR Summit 2018, The Cavendish Conference Centre, London W1, 3rd October 2018
The Retail Design Summit 2018
The Retail Design Summit 2018
14 November 2018
The Cavendish Conference Centre
The Retail Design Summit 2018
Omnichannel Futures Conference 2019
Omnichannel Futures Conference 2019
6 February 2019
Cavendish Conference Centre, London WG1 9DT
A truly omnichannel offering requires an understanding of customer behaviour across all shopping channels and how this should impact your overall business strategy
Customer Engagement Conference 2019
Customer Engagement Conference 2019
5 June 2019
Cavendish Conference Centre, London W1
The 10th Annual Retail Customer Engagement Summit
National Minimum Wage Breakfast Briefing
National Minimum Wage Breakfast Briefing
20 September 2018
6th Floor 1, St. Martin's Le Grand London, EC1A 4AS
National Minimum Wage Breakfast Briefing